Thursday, August 24, 2017

The Parade

     There was a parade of pedestrians and cars all jumbled in as one.  I was in a car with my friend; we were headed towards the middle of the chaos.  I could see policemen and policewomen vigilantly dissecting the crowd-stalking, lurking, maliciously seeking weakness as does a wild animal hunting a heard.
   I often wonder if the police have to take off their smiles and lay down their hearts when they get to work.  If I  walked into a police station and stepped into the locker room would I find shelves of tartar covered pearly whites?  Would the lockers be dripping in blood from their crumbled up hearts that lay there looking more like dirty socks than empathetic machines of love?
    There they were glowing in their yellow jackets with their sparkling badges and subliminally threatening batons.  Stalking the crowd with malice in their eyes.  Of course, I did not care. I did nothing wrong.   Detached by ignorance, innocence and shielded with my defiant carefree laugh- I felt immune.   But somehow evil always finds and preys on an easy stray.
    I have traveled to this country at least ten times. I own these streets. I know important people, I am an important person. I have always been cradled by the people and the culture. I never paid any mind to the warning of all those that knew that someday I would not be safe.
     A knock on the window, a cold mean face says "get out of the car and give me your license."  I show them my credentials. "I don't care", he replies "get out of the car."