Friday, June 23, 2017

Thanksgiving


Seven months and twenty two days before it happens again.        

Thanksgiving.

Why should I start preparing for next year’s Thanksgiving?

I know why. 

Because of this year's Thanksgiving and the one before that and the one before that and probably because of the one that is coming this fall.  
                  
Disaster.
     
Anyway, it was on sale. 

The cheapest  time to buy anything is the day after the holiday. 

But it's  not the night after Thanksgiving-
And it's stuffing-
How much can you really save on stuffing?  

But I'm here. 
 It's on sale. 
And, it is the good kind. 
The kind with the nice picture on the box of the steaming turkey in the middle of a bountiful table and a family  of happy white people  sitting around smiling.

 Do you know why they are happy?

I'll tell you why they're happy.
It is because their ancestors killed all the Indians that lived here before. 

So today,  they sit peacefully around a beautiful  table eating with no arrows flying over  their heads. 

Poor Indians- happy  white people.
     
I don't know why I celebrate Thanksgiving. It is like me celebrating Kwanzaa or St' Patrick's Day or Hanukkah. I'm not those people. I'm pernil, rice and beans people. 

Why can't there be a pernil stuffing box? A box with smiling Spanish people around a steaming big pig head.  I'll tell you why - it's because we're nuts.

A box with the picture of my house on Thanksgiving would have my tios fighting, my mother and aunt screaming "Dios Mio" and everyone else dancing and drinking in the background.

That would be a great box.
 I would love to see that box. I bet that box would sell like crazy. 

Mmm, I should call GOYA.

But anyway, today I'm making room in the cupboard for fifty, ten cent boxes of smiling white people stuffing for next year.


Happy Thanksgiving.