Wednesday, April 20, 2011

The Last Lettter from Emily Sparks to Reuben Pantiher


Dear Boy,
I write this letter my love in hopes that you will hold it forever dear.

My days are counted and as if I could not be  cursed further, they grow longer. Morning starts in dark and night never seems to end. My handkerchief fills of red  from my constant cough . You would not recognize me; I have rapidly  lost so much  weight. Consumption they say.

I am lonely. Lonelier then I have ever been. As you know I have always been alone. Alone with my school plans and my room, alone with my thoughts and  the dreams  I  stored  for another day. I never regretted this, it was the life I chose. No man would ever had  let me live my dream with the conviction and passion of which I give to my students. Jealousy or marital demands would have halted my path.  It may  have even stopped me from loving you.

 Spring is near. The trees have started to bud, early  flowers are in bloom  a faint consolation to this , winter's    hard and endless terror. The roof  on the school house  needs changing ,  the books are worn and the desks are tired and scarred. Still everyday  the paint free  walls grow bright and happy, at least for a few hours, as my  children fill the air with their  open minds and  endless thoughts.The  air overloads with their music of laughter and shuffling restlessness . Even with all the activity and  restless energy that ignites the air I find myself with an empty thought, a cold dark space that has not been mine  in a long time. I find my self forever waiting, waiting, for my boy to come through  the door.  I wait to see his dark skin  and black black hair, curled by the wind.His joyous smile and bubbling words filling my heart. I wait to see those intense dark eyes and feel the fervor of his soul.

I know  you are far, and that you left with no thought of me ; I surely was not a consideration when
your life was detoured by  the  Milliner's daughter's  implications. You know by now that you  wronged that girl , she  was not your conquest alone. I warned you, I warned you often, the devil grows  strong  in  you . You never could control that urge. I pleaded with you to be good ,to not give in , to show your love in labor for your neighbor, to  subside  that energy, to hold your peace. I would have given you more than words  if I could have . No matter now, you are far. I have written you often, Mr  Petit has been  kind enough to find these letters to you  through  his  friends in France. His friendship and discretion have been valued, for the town still whispers. 

Reuben listen to me my son. I am afraid I will not be able to write to you  any more, Not for not wanting
and not that I won't pray for you every night. I must stop these  letters  because my selfish fear of death  has
revealed the meaning of my love.  I regret not one thing, except not letting you kiss me again.
Your tenderness and your beautiful heart , I hope I did not destroy. You surprised me that day in the school room.I yelled at you as a teacher as an adult. but   as a women I cherished  the sweetness of your lips and the vulnerability of which you shared. I swear to you, that my love  was that of a mother but  now in my older  days  I come to the truth  that it was  of  woman.

I wish you were near or that you would have written back, I would have gone to find you. Together we could have done the goodness that God wants. You have the strength and charisma to make people listen and help save them; I would have taught  you the path and shared my love. Age at this point no more matters , it is what is in my heart.

Do you remember reading the Bible by  candle light and making baskets for the woodsman's widows. When you were right and enlighten and loved you were a good boy.  I am scared to leave Reuben , scared that you will keep your ways. Yes I have heard stories of your debauchery and womanizing . This is wrong my son. The devil will take your soul Please don't follow through this path, I need you to promise , I need to know that what I have sacrificed on earth will be paid to me in heaven. That my loneliness will be rewarded with your eternal love. Please  let me rest with the thought that my prays will guide you to me. Please let me lay  in peace knowing that the words that have filled my letters were not a spinsters false hope. Please let me know that your kiss was not one of many, that your soft voice was not a disguise, that all the goodness you showed me was not the dddevi''s  map.

Follow the righteous path; be good so that from heaven I will know that our feelings, while not timely, were  righteous. Let me know by your actions, from this day forward, that you are looking for God and that
in God you will come to me. Tell me please that I will not go to hell because I have failed you and failed my God for loving you. Please Reuben I beg of you if I was your light  then let me be your light now.If your feeling were true find your way  in the goodness of right.

I go now with the thought ,that God has given you to me. To cherish and love and guide here and in heaven.
I wait for you my love.

Emily Sparks